kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, January 11, 2021

What your body is for

...and what it is not for.

Verse for the week: “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. 

Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.”
Psalm 139.14

 Prayer for the week: O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Search me, O God, and know my heart! And lead me in the way everlasting; through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord. Amen. (from Psalm 139)

 Bible reading for the day: I Corinthians 6.12-20 (note: the slogan “All things are lawful for me” was in common use by the Corinthian congregation.)

“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. 13 “Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

 Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, be glorified in our freedom, which you grant us in Christ Jesus, amen. (from The Lutheran Study Bible, Concordia).

 Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to the good fight of faith and our Champion in that fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2opLCCVyI

 The Sixth Commandment

You shall not commit adultery. Exodus 20.14

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God so that in matters of sex we are chaste and disciplined in our words and actions, and that husband and wife love and honor each other. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

 benediction: The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  (Philippians 4.7)

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

                                                            R: regret (repentance)

                                                            I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

                                                            P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment