kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, January 14, 2021

For your itching ears...

Verse for the week: “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. 

Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.”
Psalm 139.14

 Prayer for the week: O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Search me, O God, and know my heart! And lead me in the way everlasting; through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord. Amen. (from Psalm 139)

Bible reading for the day: II Timothy 4.1-5 (Writing to his apprentice in the latter part of the first century; Paul charges Timothy to “preach the word, in season and out”…for the time is coming when people’s ears will itch for teachers who suit their own passions.)   

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for the living word who is Christ… he is the sound one who fulfills my ears and soul. For me and for your whole church, send us preachers who deliver your word for us untarnished and undiminished, in season and out… otherwise our itching ears will be the death of us. So send us preachers of Christ, Lord, and send us out as the same. In Jesus’ name I ask this, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to the good fight of faith and our Champion in that fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2bhHosLHmI  

Hallowed be thy name…”

What does this mean?

God’s name is certainly holy in itself, but we ask in this prayer that we may keep it holy.

When does this happen? God's name is hallowed when his Word is taught in its truth and purity and we, as God's children, lead holy lives in harmony with it. Grant this to us, dear Father in heaven! But whoever teaches and lives in ways other than what God's Word teaches dishonors the name of God among us. Prevent us from doing this, heavenly Father!  (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011) 

benediction: The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  (Philippians 4.7)

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

                                                            R: regret (repentance)

                                                            I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

                                                            P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment