kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The freedom of a Christian

Verse for the week: “For God alone my soul waits in silence, from him comes my salvation.” Psalm 62.1

Prayer for the week: Once, O God, you have spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to you and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. Render unto even me, O Lord, your steadfast love, through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord. Amen. (from Psalm 62)

Bible reading for the day: Galatians 6.1-5    

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load.

Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, I am nothing and Christ is everything… thank you! Guard me continuously from deceiving myself. Teach me to use my Christian freedom to keep watch on myself and bear responsibility for myself… and while I’m at it, to bear my brother’s burden with gentleness. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcKlYUL5B0E

“Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us…”

What does this mean?

We pray in this petition that our heavenly Father would not hold our sins against us and because of them refuse to hear our prayer. We know we have not earned, nor do we deserve, those things for which we pray. But we ask that he would grant us all things through grace, even though we sin every day and deserve nothing but punishment. And so we, too, will heartily forgive, and gladly do good to those who sin against us. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction: The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  (Philippians 4.7)

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

                                                            R: regret (repentance)

                                                            I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

                                                            P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment