kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

To the unmarried and the married

Verse for the week: “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15.5 

Prayer for the week: Blessed is everyone who fears you, O Lord. Rescue me from my own way. Grant that I may walk in your ways, that your peace may be upon my children’s children; through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (from Psalm 128) 

Bible reading for the day: I Corinthians 7.8-16 (note: Having laid our foundation on Christ crucified for the forgiveness of our sins, Paul continues to shed light on what this foundation means for singles, widows, and married persons.
To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband 11 (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. 16 For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife? 

Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for your chief work: Christ crucified for the forgiveness of our sins. He was before all things and in him all things hold together. Rescue me and your whole church from the trap of putting our sexual desires before him. Use singles, widows, married persons, my wife and me as preachers of Christ for each other… that we and more persons may be saved. In Jesus’ name I ask this, amen. 

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://vimeo.com/46203440

Give us this day our daily bread…”

What does this mean? God indeed gives daily bread to all sinners, even without our prayer, but we pray in this petition that he would help us to recognize this so that we would receive our daily bread with thanksgiving.

What is meant by daily bread? Daily bread includes everything needed for this life, such as food, drink, clothing, home, property, employment, necessities, devout spouse and children, an orderly community, honest and good government, seasonable weather, peace, health, a good name, true friends and neighbors, and the like. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011) 

benediction: The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  (Philippians 4.7)

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

                                                            R: regret (repentance)

                                                            I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

                                                            P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment