kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Here's your shepherd...

What do sheep like you and I need?

Verse for the week:  “the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.”  Mt 20.28

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 23
 1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Prayer (based on TRIP** method)Gracious, good Shepherd, thank you for laying down your life to save and lead sheep like me. The way is narrow and hard that leads to life, you know it O Lord; and the feet of my heart are so quick to wander and look for an easy route. Please lead me in paths of righteousness for your name’s sake, Lord. Bring me and my fellow sheep often to that table you have prepared for us: your body & your blood brimming over with the gifts of forgiveness, life, and salvation. With the rod and staff of your word and your presence defeat everything the devil and his allies throw at us.  By your Holy Spirit, sustain us in your green pastures… and let the life-song of our praise rise. In Jesus’ name I ask it, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic which gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax_NMWLEb6U


Benediction:  Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.  Amen.  II Thess 2.16-17

*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment