kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

For your family and your congregation...

Verse for the week: “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!"  Psalm 103.1

O Lord, let my ears be attentive to your word; I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Bible reading for the day:  Genesis 45.3-15

And Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph! Is my father still alive?” But his brothers could not answer him, for they were dismayed at his presence.

So Joseph said to his brothers, “Come near to me, please.” And they came near. And he said, “I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. So it was not you who sent me here, but God. He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt. Hurry and go up to my father and say to him, ‘Thus says your son Joseph, God has made me lord of all Egypt. Come down to me; do not tarry. 10 You shall dwell in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near me, you and your children and your children's children, and your flocks, your herds, and all that you have. 11 There I will provide for you, for there are yet five years of famine to come, so that you and your household, and all that you have, do not come to poverty.’ 12 And now your eyes see, and the eyes of my brother Benjamin see, that it is my mouth that speaks to you. 13 You must tell my father of all my honor in Egypt, and of all that you have seen. Hurry and bring my father down here.” 14 Then he fell upon his brother Benjamin's neck and wept, and Benjamin wept upon his neck. 15 And he kissed all his brothers and wept upon them. After that his brothers talked with him.

Prayer (based on TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: when we would take life, you preserve it; when we would accumulate sin, you forgive it… out of the pit you bring new life for us in Christ Jesus. Thank you! In my own family and in the family of your church, rescue us from the jealousy that stops our ears and mutes our confession. Grant us grace to listen to you and to talk with one another; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that connects with today’s conversation with the Lord:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HixCQUirJxg

“And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us,”

What does this mean?

We ask in this prayer that our heavenly Father would not hold our sins against us and because of them refuse to hear our prayer. And we pray that he would give us everything by grace, for we sin every day and deserve nothing but punishment. So we on our part will heartily forgive and gladly do good to those who sin against us.” (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction: The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  Phil 4.7

 

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment