kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, March 4, 2021

In the good fight

 ...your pride only defeats you.

“thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6.10

Prayer for the week:  Eternal Lord, your kingdom has broken into our troubled world through the life, death, and resurrection of your Son. Help us to hear your Word and obey it, so that we become instruments of your redeeming love; through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.  Amen. (Lutheran Book of Worship)

Bible reading for the day:  I Peter 5.6-11 (note: The first century congregations receiving this letter knew firsthand the experience of their faith being under attack from the devil, the world, and their own sinful selves.)

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*):  Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: in the good fight of faith, you have not left me to fend for myself; you have given me to Christ Jesus, who himself restores, confirms, strengthens and establishes me. Thank you! The devil is still on the prowl and he indeed is a deadly-skilled adversary; so keep on sending Christ alone as my sure defense. Kill off my pride that esteems the self and is anxious to protect it. Humble me and rest me in your mighty hand… for to you belongs dominion now and forever. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF2M8nvKK9k

“Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

What does this mean? The good and gracious will of God is done indeed without our prayer, but we ask in this petition that it may be done also among us.

When does this happen? God’s will is done when he hinders and defeats every evil scheme and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful self which would prevent keeping God’s name holy and would oppose the coming of his kingdom. And God’s will is done when he strengthens our faith and keeps us firm in his word as long as we live. This is his gracious and good will. (from “The Small Catechism” by Martin Luther)

Benediction: “Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
    teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are the God of my salvation;
    for you I wait all the day long.” 
Psalm 25.4-5

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

R: regret (repentance)

I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment