kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

As you forgive...

“forgive us our trespasses as we have forgiven those who trespass against us.” Matthew 6.12

Prayer for the week:  God of all mercy, by your power to heal and to forgive, graciously cleanse us from all sin and make us strong; through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.  Amen. (Lutheran Book of Worship)

Bible reading for the day:  Matthew 18.21-35 (note: a “talent” is a monetary amount worth twenty years of wages for a laborer, while a denarius is worth one day’s wage for a laborer.)

Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times.

23 “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. 24 When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.’ 27 And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. 28 But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay what you owe.’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.’ 30 He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. 31 When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. 32 Then his master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ 34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*):  Gracious and almighty Father, I cannot begin to measure the depth and breadth of your forgiveness of me in Christ; thank you! Put to death every attempt of my old, prideful self to justify myself and to hold a score against another. The same pity by which you have released me, make it evident in my forgiveness of my neighbor… time after time after time. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfyZIJUHKpU  

“forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

What does this mean? We ask in this prayer that our heavenly Father would not hold our sins against us and because of them refuse to hear our prayer. And we pray that he would give us all things by grace, for we sin every day and deserve nothing but punishment. So, we on our part will heartily forgive and gladly to good to those who sin against us. (from “The Small Catechism” by Martin Luther)

Benediction: “The Lord is merciful and gracious,
    slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.”
Psalm 103.8

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

R: regret (repentance)

I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment