kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Your strength...

is not in yourself.

Verse for the week:  Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6.2

Prayer for the week: “Lord, take us – body, soul, and mind – and make us wholly yours. So increase your grace in us that not our own desires but your holy will may rule us all in all; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.” (K.B. Ritter, Gebete fur das jahr der Kirched, 2nd  ed. Kassel: Barenreiter Verlag, 1948, p. 185). 

Bible reading for the Day: Psalm 18.1-9, 16

I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
    and I am saved from my enemies.

The cords of death encompassed me;
    the torrents of destruction assailed me;
the cords of Sheol entangled me;
    the snares of death confronted me.

In my distress I called upon the Lord;
    to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
    and my cry to him reached his ears.

Then the earth reeled and rocked;
    the foundations also of the mountains trembled
    and quaked, because he was angry.
Smoke went up from his nostrils,
    and devouring fire from his mouth;
    glowing coals flamed forth from him.
He bowed the heavens and came down;
    thick darkness was under his feet.

10He rode on a cherub and flew;
    he came swiftly on the wings of the wind.

 16 He sent from on high, he took me;

    he drew me out of many waters.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method[i]): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: you are indeed everything for me, my strength, my fortress, my salvation. All power is yours, not mine… thank you! So, when I am in distress, deliver me from the black hole of myself. Keep teaching me to call on you… for right on time – not early not late – you ride in and deliver me from the devil, the world, and my sinful self. Keep it up Lord; in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a popular Bible camp song that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsK9UiBFJI

“Lead us not into temptation…”

What does this mean?

God indeed tempts no one to sin, but we pray in this petition that our heavenly Father would guard and protect us from this, that the devil, the world, and our sinful self may not deceive us or lead us into false belief, despair, and other great and shameful sins, but pray that when we are tempted in these ways, we may finally prevail and gain the victory. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction:  The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  Phil 4.7



[i] The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
                                                            T: thanksgiving
                                                            R: regret (repentance)
                                                            I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                            P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment