kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Rich pasture for you


Verse for the week: “You keep him in perfect peace
    whose mind is stayed on you,
    because he trusts in you.”
Isaiah 26.3

Prayer for the week: “Almighty and everlasting God, comfort of the sad and strength to those who suffer: Let the prayers of your children who are in any trouble rise to you.  To everyone in distress grant mercy, grant relief, grant refreshment; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (Prayer for Those in Affliction, LBW # 223, Minister’s Ed., p.114; Gelasian Sacramentary in Frederick B. Macnutt, The Prayer Manual, p.221). 

Bible reading for the day: Ezekiel 34.11-19 (note: By the early sixth century BC, Israel’s bad kings and priests had led the people astray from the true pasture of the Lord’s word.)
 “For thus says the Lord God: Behold, I, I myself will search for my sheep and will seek them out. 12 As a shepherd seeks out his flock when he is among his sheep that have been scattered, so will I seek out my sheep, and I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. 13 And I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land. And I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the ravines, and in all the inhabited places of the country. 14 I will feed them with good pasture, and on the mountain heights of Israel shall be their grazing land. There they shall lie down in good grazing land, and on rich pasture they shall feed on the mountains of Israel. 15 I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I myself will make them lie down, declares the Lord God. 16 I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them in justice.
17 “As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord God: Behold, I judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and male goats. 18 Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture, that you must tread down with your feet the rest of your pasture; and to drink of clear water, that you must muddy the rest of the water with your feet? 19 And must my sheep eat what you have trodden with your feet, and drink what you have muddied with your feet?

Prayer (based on the TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for taking over and sending exactly what fickle, lost sheep like us need: our true Shepherd, Jesus Christ. Repent me and your whole church of blindly following any other shepherd – whether it be our candidate of choice or ourselves – for such departure from you only leaves us scattered and lost. Find us and bring us out again today Lord; feed us on the good pasture, the rich pasture of your Word… that instead of fat on and full of ourselves we may be nourished by the bread of life, Jesus Christ, our Lord, and given to our neighbor in his name. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHWMltF9_8

“I believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord…”
What does this mean?
I believe that Jesus Christ — true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary — is my Lord. He has redeemed me, a lost and condemned creature, and has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the devil, not with silver and gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death. He has done all this in order that I might be his own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, even as he is risen from the dead and lives and reigns for all eternity. This is most certainly true! (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction: Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21) 


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.
**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                        T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment