kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Getting you off the merry go round...


Verse for the week: “You keep him in perfect peace
    whose mind is stayed on you,
    because he trusts in you.”
Isaiah 26.3

Prayer for the week: “Almighty and everlasting God, comfort of the sad and strength to those who suffer: Let the prayers of your children who are in any trouble rise to you.  To everyone in distress grant mercy, grant relief, grant refreshment; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (Prayer for Those in Affliction, LBW # 223, Minister’s Ed., p.114; Gelasian Sacramentary in Frederick B. Macnutt, The Prayer Manual, p.221). 

Bible reading for the day: Psalm 119.169-176
 Let my cry come before you, O Lord;
    give me understanding according to your word!
170 Let my plea come before you;
    deliver me according to your word.
171 My lips will pour forth praise,
    for you teach me your statutes.
172 My tongue will sing of your word,
    for all your commandments are right.
173 Let your hand be ready to help me,
    for I have chosen your precepts.
174 I long for your salvation, O Lord,
    and your law is my delight.
175 Let my soul live and praise you,
    and let your rules help me.
176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant,
    for I do not forget your commandments.

Prayer (based on the TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you that I may bring my cry before you; for I am at the same time sinner and saint and only you get me off that merry go round. Your commandments are of course right and true; they are also the death of me… that is their job. So, despairing of my own righteousness, my cry comes before you and your ready right hand reaches out to save me. Just as you plucked sinking Peter out of the waves, just as you leave the 99 to retrieve the one lost, rescue me daily with your salvation… deliver me according to your word… that my lips will pour forth your praise, today and for eternity; through Jesus Christ, your son, our Lord. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHWMltF9_8

“I am the Lord your God.”
The First Commandment
“You shall have no other gods before me.” Exodus 20.3
What does this mean?
We should fear, love, and trust God above all things. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction: Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21) 


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.
**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                        T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment