kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, October 18, 2021

The Author of our return

Verse for the week: “The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad.” Psalm 126.3

Prayer for the week: “Almighty and everlasting God, increase in us the gifts of faith, hope, and charity; and, that we may obtain what you have already promised, make us love what you command; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen” (Lutheran Book of Worship, prayer for the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost). 

Bible reading for the day: Jeremiah 31.7-9 (note: Jeremiah prophesied in Jerusalem from 627-580 BC, during the time of Josiah and the last kings of Judah. He denounced Judah’s apostasy, idolatry, rejection of the law, breaking of the covenant, and dependence on the temple. In particular, he declared that putting their trust in the temple gave them false security and was a form of idolatry.)

7 For thus says the Lord:
“Sing aloud with gladness for Jacob,
    and raise shouts for the chief of the nations;
proclaim, give praise, and say,
    ‘O Lord, save your people,
    the remnant of Israel.’
Behold, I will bring them from the north country
    and gather them from the farthest parts of the earth,
among them the blind and the lame,
    the pregnant woman and she who is in labor, together;
    a great company, they shall return here.
With weeping they shall come,
    and with pleas for mercy I will lead them back,
I will make them walk by brooks of water,
    in a straight path in which they shall not stumble,
for I am a father to Israel,
    and Ephraim is my firstborn.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*): Gracious and almighty Lord, in Christ Jesus you reveal that you are indeed our true Father and we your beloved children. Thank you. You bring me and my congregation back from our far wandering; you are the author of our return. Thank you. Deliver us again today from the desert of ourselves and this world; make me walk that straight path which you have already prepared for me; in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4fXnrDiR0

I believe in Jesus Christ…”

What does this mean?

I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, son of the Father from eternity, and true man, born of the virgin Mary, is my Lord. At great cost he has saved and redeemed me, a lost and condemned person. He has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the devil – not with silver and gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death. All this he has done that I may be his own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as he is risen from the dead and lives and reigns for all eternity. This is most certainly true. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction:  The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.

                        The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in

                        From this time on and forevermore.  Ps 121.7-8  

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment