kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

A humble ear...

 just might open your eyes.

Verse for the week: “The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad.” Psalm 126.3

Prayer for the week: “Almighty and everlasting God, increase in us the gifts of faith, hope, and charity; and, that we may obtain what you have already promised, make us love what you command; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen” (Lutheran Book of Worship, prayer for the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost). 

Bible reading for the day: Mark 10.46-52

46 And they came to Jericho. And as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the roadside. 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 48 And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 49 And Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart. Get up; he is calling you.” 50 And throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. 51 And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to him, “Rabbi, let me recover my sight.” 52 And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for calling me and this blind generation to yourself in Jesus Christ. Deliver me and my congregation from the pride that trusts ourselves rather than trust you. Tuck the news of Jesus into our ears again today… that especially in our blind desperation we may call out for him and his mercy; I ask this in his name. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXNkA8qPxqI   And for a deeper ear and eye full, here’s a link to Handel’s setting of Psalm 42 and a still life by Van der Ast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-AFYOoRdw&t=426s

I believe in the Holy Spirit…”

What does this mean?

I believe that I cannot, by my own understanding or effort, believe in Jesus Christ my Lord, or come to him. But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and kept me in true faith. In the same way he calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it united with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian church day after day he fully forgives my sins and the sins of all believers. On the last day he will raise me and all the dead and give me and all believers in Christ eternal life. This is most certainly true. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction:  The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
                        The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in
                        From this time on and forevermore.  Ps 121.7-8  

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment