kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, October 5, 2020

Your heart & mind: Guarded by Christ

Verse for the week:The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” Psalm 23.1

Prayer for the week: Almighty God, source of every blessing, your generous goodness comes to us anew every day. By the work of your Spirit lead us to confess your goodness, give thanks for your benefits, and serve you in willing obedience; through you Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Lutheran Book of Worship, 1978)

Bible reading for the day: Philippians 4.1-9

1 Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.

I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

prayer(based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, our hearts and minds need a guard against sin and the devil…and you have given us the BEST one: Christ Jesus…thank you!  Repent me and your church of wresting our hearts and minds from his hands and back into our own…because anxiety and bad behavior always result when we do that. In every situation, teach us to pray to you, thank you, and put into practice what you have given and taught us…so that your peace might be extended to others.  I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn:  follow this link to a beloved,classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgnnJOJMESU

benediction:  May the God of peace himself grow you in his will entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.  Amen.  I Thess 5.23

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

R: regret (repentance)

I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment