kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, October 22, 2020

A touchless thermometer on your forehead?

Verse for the week: It was to prove at the present time that God himself is righteous and that he justifies the one who has faith in Jesus. Romans 3.26

Prayer for the week: “Almighty God, gracious Lord, pour out your Holy Spirit upon your faithful people.  Keep us steadfast in your word, protect and comfort us in all temptations, defend us against all our enemies, and bestow on the church your saving peace; through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen” (Lutheran Book of Worship, p.36)

Bible reading for the day:  Revelation 14.6-7 (The vision given to John on the isle of Patmos serves not to reveal the floor plan of heaven but to give a persecuted and messy church courage for today and hope for eternity.)

1 Then I looked, and behold, on Mount Zion stood the Lamb, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads…

6Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people. And he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come, and worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you that your judgment upon me has indeed come in Christ Jesus. Thank you that in him alone a guilty one such as I, is absolved. So, on my forehead is not a touchless thermometer that takes the measure of me… but your own name. Alleluia, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives full voice to today’s conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_-rXYe_x0

“I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.”

What does this mean?

I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to him; but the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and preserved me in the true faith. In the same way, he calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and preserves it in unity with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian church, he daily forgives abundantly all my sins and the sins of all believers. At the last day, he will raise me and all the dead and will grant everlasting life to me and to all who believe in Christ. This is most certainly true! (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction:  The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  Phil 4.7

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:

T: thanksgiving

R: regret (repentance)

I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)

P: plan or purpose

Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment