kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

To begin the New Year


Invitatory:  I begin in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Bible reading:  Colossians 3:12a, 16-17  
 As God's chosen ones… Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. approach):  Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for sending Jesus to save us from sin, death, and the power of the devil…and thank you for choosing me as one of your own.  Make me repent of impoverishing myself and my family when it comes to your Word. Because you have made me one of your own, see to it that your living Word dwells in even me today and throughout 2020:
-         draw me to read and hear your Word daily
-         guide me to teach and admonish others in all wisdom and to accept their admonishment
-         and gather me with my brothers and sisters in Christ every Sunday to sing thanks and praise to you
… and then send us, living out our vocations in everything we say and do… with thanksgiving to you.  I ask this in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a new classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqfQjxSWjWs

I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord…
What does this mean?
I believe that Jesus Christ — true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary — is my Lord. He has redeemed me, a lost and condemned creature, and has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the devil, not with silver and gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death. He has done all this in order that I might be his own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, even as he is risen from the dead and lives and reigns for all eternity. This is most certainly true! (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction: To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. (1 Tim 1:17) 


No comments:

Post a Comment