kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, January 6, 2020

Petition...


To his rebellious people in exile in Babylon, the Lord declares “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you” (Jeremiah 29:12).

Psalm 119.10-11,17,24,49-50,71,81,105
10With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.

17Deal bountifully with your servant,
    that I may live and keep your word.

24 Your testimonies are my delight;
    they are my counselors.

49 Remember your word to your servant,
    in which you have made me hope.
50 This is my comfort in my affliction,
    that your promise gives me life.

71 It is good for me that I was afflicted,
    that I might learn your statutes.

81 My soul longs for your salvation;
    I hope in your word.

105Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path.

Prayer (based on Psalm 119):
O Lord, Father in Heaven,
Guide me.
Mold me.
Afflict me.
Turn me.
Teach me.
Change me.
Hold on to me, for I am yours.
Show me your Way.
All day let that Way be before me.
In every thought, breath and action
let it be the beacon, the guide, the control,
the path of my life.
Help me follow your Way
to the very end of my days.
Thank you for putting me here in your hands.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.

In your additional petitions, please pray for:
our congregation, for our pastors, for our leaders, and for the new leaders we will need; for those who carry out ministries, for marriages and parents, for Financial Peace University courses, for the Sunday School teachers, for the Confirmation leaders, for those leading adult Bible studies and for those leading small groups. Pray for those in hospital and nursing home ministries. Pray for our preschool. Pray for relationships through Breaking Bread. Pray for our missionaries, local and global. Pray for all those connected to our church that they might know God’s redeeming love for all in Christ. Pray for Pastor Chip and the Reynolds family during his deployment.

Hymn: for this link to a beloved hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1LAc5DSCU

“Hallowed be thy name…”  
What does this mean?
God's name is indeed holy in itself, but we pray in this petition that it may be kept holy also among us.
How is this done?
God's name is hallowed when his Word is taught in its truth and purity and we, as God's children, lead holy lives in harmony with it. Grant this to us, dear Father in heaven! But whoever teaches and lives in ways other than what God's Word teaches dishonors the name of God among us. Prevent us from doing this, heavenly Father!   (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction:    The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
                           The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in
                           From this time on and forevermore.  Ps 121.7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment