kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Where is your starting place?


A long time ago, a man named Peter spoke to a small group of people. Their faith was being refined, tested by government persecution... so that the genuineness of their faith may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at a later time. To that little band of believers Peter said: "in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience so that when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, then for doing evil."  (I Peter 3.15-17)

That's sounds like a good starting place.

When we are infants we insist on taking ourselves as the starting place for everything. Infants want their "rights" and they want them now, whether it's a bottle, a sippy cup, or a particular toy.
Unless maturity and accountability are taught, the spoiled child insists: "it's all about me and my rights." A spoiled adolescent insists "I'm right, just ask me." Or “Go away, don’t bother me.”
The next step from there is for me to insist that I am my only judge. A judge is literally one who decides and speaks what is right, what is just. As much as I would like to be my own judge and jury, as a Christian I confess that there is a judge higher than me, higher than all. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are the supreme authority for me. The Lord alone is just. The Lord has decided what is right and declares it in the natural order of creation and in his living Word.
Most all of us experience times when we'd rather not answer to the Lord... We would rather be our own judge and jury.
Isn't it interesting: when a court of Peter’s day tried to order him off his starting place, when that court charged him not to teach in Jesus’ name, Peter and the early apostles simply answered: “We must obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5.29)
The timeliness of Peter’s words is striking to me.  "Honor Christ the Lord as holy and always be prepared..." The 21st century is a great time for those of us who confess Christ, to always be prepared - with gentleness and respect - to give the reason for the hope that is in us... Indeed, even expect to be slandered, but rather than retreat or return the rant, be ready to tell others of the Supreme Judge who has caught all us sinners dead to rights and declared his mercy for us in Christ, executed and raised for our forgiveness.

Let’s pray: Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: you alone are my starting place, you alone are just and you reign supreme. When the world or even a court oppose you, even when we may be slandered on your account, repent me and your whole church of retreating or ranting.  Make me always prepared – with gentleness and respect – to give the reason for the hope that is mine in Christ… that my conscience may be clear and my neighbor may hear an honest witness to your holy name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Pastor Paul Owens, St. Paul Lutheran Church, New Braunfels, TX              www.splchurch.org


No comments:

Post a Comment