kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Devotion for July 16
Verse for the week:  Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6.2

Prayer:  “Lord, take our bodies and our minds and make them wholly yours.  So increase your grace in us that not our own desires but your holy will may rule us all in all; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.” (K.B. Ritter, Gebete fur das jahr der Kirched, 2nd  ed. Kassel: Barenreiter Verlag, 1948, p. 185). 


Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: in Christ you have given me and your whole church our rightful Shepherd, the Good One.  Thank you!  Repent us of wandering off and following our own ways… that is nothing but death for us.  Each day, grant me to know the table of life you have spread before me, guide me to invite others to the same, and defend me against the evil of the Devil, the world, and my sinful self.  I ask this in the name of my Lord and Shepherd, your Son, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with our Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHWMltF9_8   


Benediction:  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with us all.  Amen.  II Cor 13.14




*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment