kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, June 8, 2015

Verse for the week: God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.  Acts 2.36

Morning Prayer:  “Almighty, everlasting God, you have given us the promise of your divine life.  Bestow upon us your Holy Spirit, that, quickened by your word, we may lay hold on eternal life by strong faith in your Son, and in him be saved; through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord.  Amen. (K.B. Ritter, Gebete fur das Jahr der Kirche, 2nd ed. (Kassel: Johannes Stauda-Verllag, 1948), p.170)

Bible reading for the day:  Ezekiel 17.22-24
Thus says the Lord God: “I myself will take a sprig from the lofty top of the cedar and will set it out. I will break off from the topmost of its young twigs a tender one, and I myself will plant it on a high and lofty mountain. 23 On the mountain height of Israel will I plant it, that it may bear branches and produce fruit and become a noble cedar. And under it will dwell every kind of bird; in the shade of its branches birds of every sort will nest. 24 And all the trees of the field shall know that I am the Lord; I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree, dry up the green tree, and make the dry tree flourish. I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will do it.”

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Father, you are the Boss – the one who brings high trees low and who makes the low tree high.  Thank you for making Christ’s cross the tree of life for me and for your church.  Repent us of wanting to be our own lords and wanting to live by our proud strength.  According to your wisdom, not mine, accomplish your work upon me and my brothers and sisters…cut us down to the stump and raise us new…that the fruit you have already appointed for us to bear, the fruit of faith in you and humble, noble service to our neighbor, may appear among branches like us.  I ask this in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

“What is the significance of baptizing with water?
It signifies that the old Adam in us, together with all sins and evil desires, should be drowned by daily sorrow for sin and repentance and be put to death, and that the new person should come forth every day and rise to live before God in righteousness and purity forever.
Where is this written?
Saint Paul says in Romans, “We were buried therefore with him by Baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4 ESV).


Benediction:  The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  Phil 4.7

  

*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 



No comments:

Post a Comment