kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Invitatory:  “The Son of Man came to seek and save the lost.” (Luke 19.10)

Morning Prayer:  “Almighty and merciful God, you are not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.  Grant that by your word we may again and again be convicted of our sin, but also fervently grasp anew the comfort of your Spirit and of faith, in order that we may be justified in your Son and be saved through him, Jesus Christ our Lord.   (Kirchenbuch für die Gemeinde (Isenhagen), quoted in Orate Fratres, Gebetsordnung für evangelische-lutherische Pfarrer, Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht 1952, p. 76)

Bible reading for the day:  Job 38.1-11 (note: in Hebrew, Job means “return” as in return to the Lord)
Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:

2 “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
3 Dress for action* like a man;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.

4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
5 Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
6 On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
7 when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

8 “Or who shut in the sea with doors
when it burst out from the womb,
9 when I made clouds its garment
and thick darkness its swaddling band,
10 and prescribed limits for it
and set bars and doors,
11 and said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther,
and here shall your proud waves be stayed’?

*Hebrew: Gird up your loins…

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you that you are just that: gracious AND almighty…you are the architect and builder, the demolition man and the resurrector.  Thank you.  Deliver me and your church from our pride, from darkening your door by our words and arrogance.  Each day work in us the creative destruction that returns us to you and deepens our fear, love and trust in you.  I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkMapZB8qMk

I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth…
What does this mean?
I believe that God has created me and all that exists, that he has given me and still preserves my body and soul, my eyes and ears, my reason and all my senses, together with food and clothing, home and family, and all my property. Every day he provides abundantly for all the needs of my life. He protects me from all danger and guards and keeps me from every evil. He does this purely out of fatherly and divine goodness and mercy, though I do not deserve it. Therefore I ought to thank, praise, serve, and obey him. This is most certainly true! (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction:  The God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in believing, that we may abound in hope, in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.  (Romans 15.13)


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment