kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Verse for the week: “For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.”           Psalm 62.5

Prayer for this week: “Lord, open our ears and hearts, that we may heed your hidden wisdom and let your word be a light to our path.  Speak to us through your living word, that we may obey your call and follow him whom you have sent, Jesus Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen. (K.B. Ritter, Gebete für das jahr der Kirche, 2nd  ed. Kassel: Barenreiter Verlag, 1948, p.180 )

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 62.5-12
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
    for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory;
    my mighty rock, my refuge is God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your heart before him;
    God is a refuge for us. 

Those of low estate are but a breath;
    those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
    they are together lighter than a breath.
10 Put no trust in extortion;
    set no vain hopes on robbery;
    if riches increase, set not your heart on them.

11 Once God has spoken;
    twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
12     and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love.
For you will render to a man
    according to his work.

Prayer (based on TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Lord, thank you: there’s nobody better for my soul to wait for and hope in than you.  There is no better source and place for my confidence than you…thank you!  Repent me and your whole church of putting our trust elsewhere… of thinking that power belongs to us.  Keep our fear, love, and trust set on you our rock & refuge…and from there, repay us according to our work.  I ask this in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh164.sht 


Benediction: May the God of peace himself grow you in his will entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.  Amen.  I Thess 5.23


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                                R: reget (repentance)
                                                                I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                                P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment