kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Day of Confession (day one of a three day prayer emphasis)

Verse for the week: We have beheld his glory; glory as of the only Son from the Father. John 1.14

Prayer for the week: Almighty God, at the baptism of your blessed Son Jesus Christ in the Jordan you manifested his glorious divinity.  Grant that the brightness of his presence may shine in our hearts and his glory be set forth in our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.” (Post-Communion in Sarum Rite, given in John Wallace Suter, Jr., The Book of English Collects (New York and London: Harper & Bros., 1940), p. 47.) 

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 51.1-12
Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
    blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin!

For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is ever before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
    and blameless in your judgment.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
    and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
    and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and uphold me with a willing spirit.

prayer(based on the TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for your mercy to me in Jesus. I need you to keep cleansing me of my sin, Lord… some of it I know, some of it try to ignore and need you to reveal to me.  Today and throughout this whole year teach me in my inward being the very truth which you desire… deep in my heart teach me afresh the wisdom that fears, loves and trusts you above all else… and make it visible in my words, deeds, and decisions.  I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

hymn: highlight then follow this link to a new hymn by Casting Crowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipwEtvWL_3c     

What is the significance of baptizing with water?
It signifies that the old Adam in us, together with all sins and evil desires, should be drowned by daily sorrow for sin and repentance and be put to death, and that the new person should come forth every day and rise to live before God in righteousness and purity forever.
Where is this written?
Saint Paul says in Romans, “We were buried therefore with him by Baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4 ESV). (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)


benediction:    The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  (Philippians 4.7)



*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                                R: regret (repentance)
                                                                I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                                P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 



No comments:

Post a Comment