kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, August 31, 2026

What to do with your sin

Verse for the week: “a bruised reed he will not break or a smoldering wick he will not quench.”  Matthew 12.20

Prayer for the week: Father of mercies, by the death and resurrection of Jesus you have both bound our sin and forgiven it. Pour out your Holy Spirit and teach us to do likewise for each other; we ask this in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 32.1-7

1 Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
    whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity,
    and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

3 For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
    through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
    my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.   Selah

5 I acknowledged my sin to you,
    and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
    and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.     Selah

6 Therefore let everyone who is godly
    offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters,
    they shall not reach him.
7 You are a hiding place for me;
    you preserve me from trouble;
    you surround me with shouts of deliverance. 

Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, in Christ alone my  sin is covered by you, my transgression forgiven. Thank you! Guard me and my congregation against pride that seeks to cover up our iniquity rather than confess it… such hiding from you leaves us wasting away. Sunday after Sunday and in between, gather us to yourself that we may acknowledge our sin and be surrounded by your forgiveness in Christ crucified and raised for us, for our salvation. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a new rendition of a classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP_9wO8LQy0

“I believe in Jesus Christ…”

What does this mean?  I believe that Jesus Christ — true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary — is my Lord. He has redeemed me, a lost and condemned creature, and has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the devil, not with silver and gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death. He has done all this in order that I might be his own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, even as he is risen from the dead and lives and reigns for all eternity. This is most certainly true!  (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction: Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21) 

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                                                         
T: thanksgiving  
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment