Verse for the week: Whoever hears you hears me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.” Luke 10.16
Prayer for the week: Almighty and merciful God, our salvation depends not on human will or exertion, but on you alone who has mercy on whom you will. Convict us according to your judgments and give us new life according to your promise, that we may be justified in your Son and be saved through him, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Bible reading for the day: Romans 9.1-13 (Writing in 56 AD, Paul centers us in God’s steadfast love, God’s choice, rather than our own.)
I am speaking the truth
in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy
Spirit— 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing
anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I
myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers
and sisters, my kinsmen according to the flesh. 4 They
are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the
glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship,
and the promises. 5 To them belong the
patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who
is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.
6 But it is not as though
the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to
Israel, 7 and not all are children of
Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your
offspring be named.” 8 This means that it is not
the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of
the promise are counted as offspring. 9 For this is
what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah
shall have a son.” 10 And not only so,
but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather
Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had
done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might
continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she
was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 As
it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: through your sovereign choice I am a child of your promise not the mere product of my flesh and its choices. Thank you! Lord, your choice, your election is far wiser than ours… so keep it up Lord, even when it means sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart, keep it up. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmH9zGkmOI
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son our Lord…
What
does this mean?
I
believe that Jesus Christ — true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and
also true man, born of the Virgin Mary — is my Lord. He has redeemed me, a lost
and condemned creature, and has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the
devil, not with silver and gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his
innocent suffering and death. He has done all this in order that I might be his
own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness,
innocence, and blessedness, even as he is risen from the dead and lives and
reigns for all eternity. This is most certainly true! (from The Small Catechism, by Martin
Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)
Benediction: Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21)
T: thanksgiving
No comments:
Post a Comment