kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Your Baptism means Conflict for You

Verse for the week: “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil”  I John 3.8

Prayer for the week:  O God, by whose Spirit we are led into the wilderness of trial, grant that, standing in your strength against the powers of darkness, we may so win the victory over all evil suggestions that with singleness of heart we may ever serve you and you alone; through him who was in all points tempted as we are, your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (John Wallace Suter, Prayers of the Spirit  New York: Harper & Bros. 1943, p.22.)

Bible reading for the day:  Luke 12.49-53

 49 “I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! 50 I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! 51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Prayer (based on TRIP* method):  Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for sending Jesus who is the truth and for kindling his fire even in me.  Thank you. Jesus knows that the truth of his lordship means the death of my will; so repent me and your whole church of preferring a lie, of preferring a soft Jesus who just wants everyone to hold hands and ignore sin, ignore the reason you sent him. Kindle the warmth of your fire among us Lord, that precisely with those from whom I am divided I may be an honest, loving witness to you; in Jesus’ name I ask this. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a favorite gospel song that gives further voice to God’s call of you and me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwYFm9B0AdY

“What is baptism?”  Baptism is not water only; it is water used together with God’s word and by his command. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction:  May the God of peace himself grow you in his will entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.  Amen.  I Thess 5.23

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment