kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, June 7, 2021

The Arborist and the Vine

Verse for the week: “For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands I sing for joy.” Psalm 92.4

 Prayer for the week: “Almighty God, our maker and redeemer, you have made us into a new company of priests to bear witness to the Gospel. Enable us to be faithful to our calling to make known your promises to all the world; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Lutheran Book of Worship)

 Bible reading for the day:  Ezekiel 17.22-24 (note: Ezekiel was a priest deported to Babylon with other community elite ten years before the final exile.  He prophesied in Babylon from 593-571 BC.)

Thus says the Lord God: “I myself will take a sprig from the lofty top of the cedar and will set it out. I will break off from the topmost of its young twigs a tender one, and I myself will plant it on a high and lofty mountain. 23 On the mountain height of Israel will I plant it, that it may bear branches and produce fruit and become a noble cedar. And under it will dwell every kind of bird; in the shade of its branches birds of every sort will nest. 24 And all the trees of the field shall know that I am the Lord; I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree, dry up the green tree, and make the dry tree flourish. I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will do it.”

 Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*): Gracious and almighty Father, Jesus is the vine and by your doing alone we are the branches; thank you! When I and your church would make ourselves high, bring us low. When we are dry, water us in your living Word that we might be shade and nest for our neighbor; in Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic hymn which gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtJNMgwzI6w  

 “Thy kingdom come...”

What does this mean?

God’s kingdom comes indeed without our prayer, but we ask in this petition that it may come also to us.

When is this done? God’s kingdom comes when our heavenly Father gives us his Holy Spirit so that by his grace we believe his holy word and live a godly life on earth now and in heaven for eternity. (from “The Small Catechism” by Martin Luther)

 Benediction:  The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  Phil 4.7

 

 *The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment