kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Peregrinatio...

a journey, especially a long one.


Verse for the week:God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”  Acts 2.36

Prayer for the week:  Almighty and merciful God, you are not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.  Grant that by your word we may again and again be convicted of our sin, but also fervently grasp anew the comfort of your Spirit and of faith, in order that we may be justified in your Son and be saved through him, Jesus Christ our Lord.  (Kirchenbuch für die Gemeinde (Isenhagen), quoted in Orate Fratres, Gebetsordnung für evangelische-lutherische Pfarrer, Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht 1952, p. 76)

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 119.153-160
153 Look on my affliction and deliver me,
    for I do not forget your law.
154 Plead my cause and redeem me;
    give me life according to your promise!
155 Salvation is far from the wicked,
    for they do not seek your statutes.
156 Great is your mercy, O Lord;
    give me life according to your judgments.
157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries,
    but I do not swerve from your testimonies.
158 I look at the faithless with disgust,
    because they do not keep your commands.
159 Consider how I love your precepts!
    Give me life according to your steadfast love.
160 The sum of your word is truth,
    and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for giving me life according to your judgment rather than mine. Keep it up, Lord. Defend me against the devil, the world, and my sinful self. Since I am a sojourner in this world and not at home unless with you, give me life according to your promise, now and for eternity. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptPNjtMAoA

“Lead me not into temptation…”
What does this mean?
God indeed tempts no one to sin, but we pray in this petition that God would guard and protect us from this, that the devil, the world, and our sinful nature may not deceive us or lead us into false belief, despair, and other great and shameful sins. And we pray that when we are tempted in these ways, we may finally prevail and gain the victory. (from “The Small Catechism” by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)


Benediction:  The God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in believing, that we may abound in hope, in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.  (Romans 15.13)


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.
**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                   T: thanksgiving
                                                      R: regret (repentance)
                                                      I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                      P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment