kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Not my ways, O Lord, but yours

Verse for the week:The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes!” Psalm 119.64

Prayer for the week:  O Redeemer and Lord of hosts, the future is in your hands. Remove all fear from us, and keep us mindful that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed in us; through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Bible reading for the day: Psalm 119.57-64 (note: these eight verses are an excerpt from the acrostic Psalm 119. Recurring throughout the 176 verses of this psalm is the three-fold reality of the believers’ life: oratio, meditatio, tentatio…prayer, listening to God in scripture, coming under spiritual attack)

57 The Lord is my portion;

    I promise to keep your words.
58 I entreat your favor with all my heart;
    be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 When I think on my ways,
    I turn my feet to your testimonies;
60 I hasten and do not delay
    to keep your commandments.
61 Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
    I do not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to praise you,
    because of your righteous rules.
63 I am a companion of all who fear you,
    of those who keep your precepts.
64 The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love;
    teach me your statutes!

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method*): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you that you are my portion; your rules alone are righteous. When I think on my ways, they are a dead end… a black hole. So, turn my feet to your testimonies Lord and be gracious to me according to your promise in Jesus. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4fXnrDiR0&ab_channel=St.PaulLutheranChurchAustin

“Thy will be done.”

What does this mean?  The good and gracious will of God is surely done without our prayer, but we ask in this prayer that it may be done also among us.

When does this happen?  God’s will is done when he hinders and defeats every evil scheme and purpose of the devil, the world, and our sinful self, which would prevent us from keeping his name holy and would oppose the coming of his kingdom. And his will is done when he strengthens our faith and keeps us firm in his Word as long as we live. This is his gracious and good will. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction:  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with us all.  Amen.  II Cor 13.14

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment