kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Outpouring: Christ's and yours

Verse for the week: The commandment we have from him is this: those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also. I John 4.21

Prayer for the week: “Dear Father in heaven, you have revealed your love to us in Jesus Christ.  Grant us your Holy Spirit, that we may love you with our whole heart and our neighbors as ourselves; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.” (Kirchenbuch fur die Gemeinde [Isenhagen], quoted in Ernst Glur and Kurt Jagdmann, Orate Fratres, Gebetsordnung fur evangelische-lutherische Pfarrer  Gottingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1952 p.82)

Bible reading for the day: II Timothy 4.6-8,16-18

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Prayer (based on the TRIP* method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you that Christ poured himself out as righteousness for sinners, including me. In the good fight of faith, rescue me daily from false belief and despair… and from self-righteousness and over-zealousness. Pour me out unto empty that even through me your message might be fully proclaimed… and my family and neighbors hear you. I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://vimeo.com/46203440

“Lead us not into temptation…”

What does this mean?  God indeed, tempts no one to sin, but we ask in this petition that our heavenly Father would watch over us and keep so that the devil, the world, and our sinful self may not deceive us and draw us into false belief, despair and other great and shameful sins. And we pray that even though we are indeed tempted, we may still win the final victory. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction: And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you this day.  To him be the power forever and ever.  Amen.    (1 Pet 5:10) 

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment