kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Jesus will throw the devil, your sin, and your death under his bus

Verse for the week: “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!"  Psalm 103.1

O Lord, let my ears be attentive to your word; I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Bible reading for the day:  I Corinthians 15.20-26, 30–34 (note: The evangelist Paul teaches us about the resurrection of Jesus and our own resurrection. This historical reality, and future reality, impacts our lives and conversations with non-believers.)

But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. 24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Why are we in danger every hour? 31 I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day! 32 What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” 33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 34 Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.

Prayer (based on TRIP* method): Gracious and Almighty Father, thank you for the truth of Christ’s death and resurrection and the promise of mine through him. While we wait for the end and the subjection of the devil, our sin, and our death, grant that I and your whole church may die to our sin every day… and raise us daily in the new obedience of faith… the fear, love and trust that gladly obeys you rather than ourselves. I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

 What does baptism mean for daily living?  It means that my sinful self – with all its evil deeds and desires – should be drown through daily repentance; and that day after day a new self should arise to live with God in righteousness and purity forever. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction: The peace of God which surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Amen.  Phil 4.7

 

*The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
R: regret (repentance)
I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment