kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Your refuge and inheritance...


Verse for the week: Come to me all you who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Mt 11.28

Prayer for the week: “Almighty God, grant to your church your Holy Spirit and the wisdom which comes down from heaven, that your word may not be bound but have free course and be preached to the joy and edifying of Christ’s holy people, that in steadfast faith we may serve you and in the confession of your name abide to the end; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Andreas Althamer, Katechismus, 1528 – first Lutheran Catechism – text in Alligemeines Evangelisches Gebetbuch, 1955, p. 435)

Bible reading for the day: Psalm 16
1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    I have no good apart from you.”

As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
    in whom is all my delight.

The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
    their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
    or take their names on my lips.

The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
    you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
    in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
    my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
    or let your holy one see corruption.

11 You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Prayer (based on the TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Father, the pierced right hand of your Son opens and from it for me are pleasures forevermore… the fullness of joy… my true refuge… and the path of my vocation. Thank you, thank you Lord. My congregation and I have no good apart from you so preserve us from the selfish, sorry errand of running after another god, especially the one we see in the mirror. Day and night instruct my heart O Lord, that my soul may rejoice and dwell securely even already now in the inheritance that Christ has in store for me; in his name I ask this. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved newer hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDGE_lRI0E

“I am the Lord your God…
The First Commandment
You shall have no other gods before me.”
What does this mean?
We should fear, love, and trust God above all things.   (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction:  Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21) 

*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.
**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                        T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment