kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, January 17, 2019

God's arm is long enough


Verse for the week: “The law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” John 1.17

Prayer for this week: “Almighty God, loving Father, you govern all things in heaven and earth and make all things new through your almighty word.  Transform our sinful nature and all our doings by the power of your Holy Spirit, that we may please you and attain perfect joy, through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (Otto Schlisske, Christliche Unterweisung im Jahr der Kirche (Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 1949), p.99 )

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 36.5-12
Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the mountains of God;
    your judgments are like the great deep;
    man and beast you save, O Lord.

How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
    The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house,
    and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
    in your light do we see light.

10 Oh, continue your steadfast love to those who know you,
    and your righteousness to the upright of heart!
11 Let not the foot of arrogance come upon me,
    nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12 There the evildoers lie fallen;
    they are thrust down, unable to rise.

Prayer (based on TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Lord, thank you that the reach of your love exceeds mine: all the way to the heavens AND all the way down to the cross to reach a sinner like me. Thank you!  Repent me and my brothers and sisters of looking for our true food and true love in any other. Let not the foot of our arrogance tread upon us. Continue your love and righteousness toward us… and extend it to others through us.  I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

“I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth…”
What does this mean?
I believe that God has created me and all that exists, that he has given me and still preserves my body and soul, my eyes and ears, my reason and all my senses, together with food and clothing, home and family, and all my property. Every day he provides abundantly for all the needs of my life. He protects me from all danger and guards and keeps me from every evil. He does this purely out of fatherly and divine goodness and mercy, though I do not deserve it. Therefore I ought to thank, praise, serve, and obey him. This is most certainly true!  (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction: Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.  Amen.  II Thess 2.16-17
  
*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.
**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                        T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment