kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, September 20, 2018

My name is nothing without his


Bible verse for the week: Our Savior Christ Jesus…abolished death and brought life and immortality to light. II Timothy 1.10

Prayer for the week: “Almighty and everlasting God, comfort of the sad and strength to those who suffer: Let the prayers of your children who are in any trouble rise to you.  To everyone in distress grant mercy, grant relief, grant refreshment; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (Prayer for Those in Affliction, LBW # 223, Minister’s Ed., p.114; Gelasian Sacramentary in Frederick B. Macnutt, The Prayer Manual, p.221). 

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 54
1O God, save me by your name,
    and vindicate me by your might.
O God, hear my prayer;
    give ear to the words of my mouth.

For presumptive people have risen against me;
    ruthless men seek my life;
    they do not set God before themselves.   

Behold, God is my helper;
    the Lord is the upholder of my life.
He will return the evil to my enemies;
    in your faithfulness put an end to them.

With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you;
    I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For he has delivered me from every trouble,
    and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.

prayer(based on the TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Father, in Christ alone you have indeed saved me, not by my own name but by yours. Thank you!  When people who do not worship you rise against me, when my old enemies the devil, the world, and my sinful self attack, put an end to them… not so that I may “feel good about myself” but so that I may give thanks to your name. I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn:  follow this link to a beloved, new hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDGE_lRI0E

Lead us not into temptation…”
What does this mean?
God indeed tempts no one to sin, but we pray in this petition that God would guard and protect us from this, that the devil, the world, and our sinful nature may not deceive us or lead us into false belief, despair, and other great and shameful sins, but pray that when we are tempted in these ways, we may finally prevail and gain the victory. (from “The Small Catechism” by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction: May the God of peace himself grow you in his will entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.  Amen.  I Thess 5.23

*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                       T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment