kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Seamless coverage is yours now

Verse for the week: “God raised him on the third day and allowed him to appear, not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses, and who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.”  Acts 10.40-41

Prayer for the Week: “Almighty and everlasting God, through the death and resurrection of your Son you have proclaimed to us the gospel of peace.  Grant that by the power of his resurrection we may be born anew to a living hope, and so overcome the world; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.” (K.B. Ritter, Gebete fur das Jahr der Kirche, 2nd ed. Kassel: Johannes Stauda-Verlag, 1948, p. 144)

Bible reading for the day: Psalm 4
  Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have given me relief when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
2 O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
    How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.

4 Be angry, and do not sin;
    ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.
Offer right sacrifices,
    and put your trust in the Lord.

There are many who say, “Who will show us some good?
    Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”
You have put more joy in my heart
    than they have when their grain and wine abound.

8 In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
    for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.



Prayer (based on the TRIP** method): Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: you are my righteousness and I am not. You have answered my prayer and put joy in my heart more often than I can recall. Thank you! Preserve me and my congregation from the misuse of prayer: from asking you to “show us the money,” show us some good when we want it. Each day, each hour, teach us such trust in you that we may lie down and sleep in peace; in Christ’s name alone. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a classic hymn that connects with today’s conversation with our Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENtL_li4GbE

“Our Father, who art in heaven…”
What does this mean?
God encourages us to believe that he is truly our Father, and that we are truly his children, so we may boldly and confidently pray to him, just as beloved children speak to their dear father. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

benediction: Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21) 


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                       T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment