kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

For your sake

...this is why God speaks.


Verse for the week:  “You are not your own; you were bought with a price.” I Cor 6.19-20

Prayer for the week:  O Lord, teach us how to pray.  Direct the lives of your servants toward the goal of everlasting salvation, that, surrounded by all the changes and uncertainties of life, we may be defended by your gracious and ready help in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.  (adapted from Lutheran Book of Worship, Minister’s Desk edition, p.113.)

Bible reading for the day: John 12.20-33 (note: It’s the Passover, the high Jewish festival that celebrates God’s delivery of his people out of bondage, and some outsiders – Greeks – show up looking to see Jesus.)
 20 Now among those who went up to worship at the feast were some Greeks. 21 So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23 And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

27 “Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd that stood there and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to him.”30 Jesus answered, “This voice has come for your sake, not mine. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” 33 He said this to show by what kind of death he was going to die.

Prayer (based on TRIP** method):  Gracious and almighty Father, thank you: you speak not to hear your own voice but for our sake! And what you speak is the casting out of Satan and the fulfillment of all time – for Jews and the rest of us – in your Son, Jesus Christ, lifted up on the cross and then lifted up from the grave and to heaven to reign for us. Thank you! Repent me and my congregation of loving our lives as if they were our possession. I and my brothers and sisters are just wheat Lord; so, carry out our falling and dying… that we may be planted in you instead of in ourselves and bear much fruit for our neighbor… to the glory of your name, Father. I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved, classic hymn by Vaughn Williams  and George Herbert that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9QZ_Jeqqo

I believe in Jesus Christ...”
What does this mean?
I believe that Jesus Christ — true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary — is my Lord. He has redeemed me, a lost and condemned creature, and has freed me from sin, death, and the power of the devil, not with silver and gold, but with his holy and precious blood and his innocent suffering and death. He has done all this in order that I might be his own, live under him in his kingdom, and serve him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, even as he is risen from the dead and lives and reigns for all eternity. This is most certainly true! (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther)

Benediction:  Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21) 



*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                        T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment