kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Monday, February 19, 2018

His covenant with the cuplable

Verse for the week:  Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters;
                        and you that have no money, come, buy and eat!  Is 55.1

Prayer for the week:  Lord Jesus Christ, you walked the way of the cross as the obedient servant of God.  Open our ears and teach us by your Spirit, that we may not rebel but walk in the obedience of disciples who have learned from you, who with the Father and the Holy Spirit live and reign, one God, now and forever.  Amen. [John W. Doberstein, Minister’s Prayer Book, Fortress Press, Philadelphia, 1986  p.82]

Bible reading for the day: Genesis 17.1-14 (note: “Abram” means exalted father; “Abraham” means father of a multitude.)
When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless, that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly.” Then Abram fell on his face. And God said to him, “Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you. And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. And I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God.”
And God said to Abraham, “As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. 10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised. Every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring, 13 both he who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money, shall surely be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

Prayer (based on TRIP** method)Gracious and almighty Father, thank for your old covenant – that you would be our God and we your people – but thank you even more for your new covenant given to us in Jesus Christ. We are far from blameless before you Lord: we and our forebears fail at keeping the old covenant; thank you for sending Jesus to be THE promise keeper for us. By your sheer mercy, grant that your ancient yet new promise to us in Christ may be lived out in our flesh. Circumcise our hearts daily… that I and my brothers and sisters in Christ may fear, love, and trust you above all else. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MimsQtU-ccQ 

I am the Lord your God.
The First Commandment
You shall have no other gods before me.
What does this mean?
We should fear, love, and trust God above all things.

“Our Father, who art in heaven…
What does this mean?
God encourages us to believe that he is truly our Father, and that we are truly his children, so we may boldly and confidently pray to him, just as beloved children speak to their dear father. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)


Benediction:  Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.  Amen.  II Thess 2.16-17

*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:                                                                                       T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment