kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, August 25, 2016

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear...

Invitatory[1]: “For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
    abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
    listen to my plea for grace.”
Psalm 86.5-6

Prayer for the week: “Almighty God, you richly and unceasingly furnish us with all good things and preserve us day by day.  Make us to acknowledge this with our whole heart, that we may thank and praise you for your lovingkindness and mercy here and for evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (K.B. Ritter, Gebete fur das jahr der Kirchen, 2nd  ed. Kassel: Barenreiter Verlag, 1948, p. 200). 

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 112
Praise the Lord!
Blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
who greatly delights in his commandments!
2 His offspring will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches are in his house,
and his righteousness endures forever.
4 Light dawns in the darkness for the upright;
he is gracious, merciful, and righteous.
5 It is well with the man who deals generously and lends;
who conducts his affairs with justice.
6 For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.
7 He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.
8 His heart is steady; he will not be afraid,
until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.
9 He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever;
his horn is exalted in honor.
10 The wicked man sees it and is angry;
he gnashes his teeth and melts away;
the desire of the wicked will perish!

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Father, the right fear of you is indeed a blessing that frees me from all other fears…AND gives me true wealth and light when all around me and within there is only darkness…thank you!  Repent me of the wickedness that fears any other but you… for such only leaves me gnashing my teeth and melting away.  Today and each day, rest my heart firmly in you, O Lord, that I may not be afraid of bad news and may look in triumph upon my sin, death, and the Devil. I ask this in the name the one who is my triumph, Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a beloved classic that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qbmPpfG6s

I am the Lord your God.
The First Commandment
You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20.3
What does this mean?
We should fear, love, and trust God above all things.
 (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)


benediction     May the God of peace himself grow you in his will entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.  Amen.  I Thess 5.23




[1] As the word implies, an invitatory is a verse that invites or invokes the Lord’s ear and his work upon you. 

*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment