kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Only Steadfast Lover

Invitatory:  My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.  Lk 1.46-47

Prayer for the 4th week of Advent: “Lord, purify our hearts that they may be worthy to become your dwelling place.  Let us never fail to find room for you, but come and abide with us that we also may abide in you, for you were born into the world for us and now live and reign, King of kings and Lord of lords, for evermore.  Amen.”  (William Temple in A.E. Baker, William Temple’s Teaching,  Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1951, p.128)

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 118.1-14
1    O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever!

2    Let Israel say,
    “His steadfast love endures forever.”
3    Let the house of Aaron say,
    “His steadfast love endures forever.”
4    Let those who fear the LORD say,
    “His steadfast love endures forever.”

5    Out of my distress I called on the LORD;
    the LORD answered me and set me free.
6    With the LORD on my side I do not fear.
    What can mortals do to me?
7    The LORD is on my side to help me;
    I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.

8    It is better to take refuge in the LORD
    than to put confidence in mortals.
9    It is better to take refuge in the LORD
    than to put confidence in princes.

10    All nations surrounded me;
    in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
11    They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side;
    in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
12    They surrounded me like bees;
    they were extinguished like a fire of thorns;
    in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
13    I was pushed hard, so that I was falling,
    but the LORD helped me.
14    The LORD is my strength and my song;
    he has become my salvation.

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Lord, thank you for your steadfast love that endures forever. Compared to yours, my love is weak and the old sinner in me would rather trust in myself than in you; so kill that one off again right now. Each day – especially in distress – teach me and my brothers & sisters to trust you rather than ourselves.  Set us free, set us on the true refuge who is Christ crucified and raised for sinners… so that our confidence may be in you.  I ask this in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Benediction: Blessing and honor and thanksgiving and praise, more than we can utter, more than we can conceive, be unto thee, O holy and glorious Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, by all angels, all people, all creatures, forever and ever. Amen. (Thomas Ken quoted in Frederick B. Macnutt, The Prayer Manual   London: Mowbray, 1951, p.39)


*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                          R: regret (repentance)
                                                          I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                          P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment