kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Invitatory:  “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil”  I John 3.8

Morning prayer:  O God, by whose Spirit we are led into the wilderness of trial, grant that, standing in your strength against the powers of darkness, we may so win the victory over all evil suggestions that with singleness of heart we may ever serve you and you alone; through him who was in all points tempted as we are, your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. (John Wallace Suter, Prayers of the Spirit  New York: Harper & Bros. 1943, p.22.)

Bible reading for the day:  Revelation 3.14-22
14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.
15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

Prayer (based on TRIP** method)Gracious and almighty Father, thank you for your living Word, Jesus Christ, he is the one who is faithful and true. Repent me and my congregation of faith and works that are lukewarm.  In your love, discipline us…spit us out when that is what we need.  Give us ears to hear so that wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked…we may come to you to have our eyes opened and our lives dressed anew from the inside out. I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn:  follow this link to a beloved hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6xIq4mL0I 

Benediction:  May the God of peace himself grow you in his will entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.  Amen.  I Thess 5.23






*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                                R: regret (repentance)
                                                                I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                                P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 



No comments:

Post a Comment