kneeling fisherman

kneeling fisherman

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Invitatory:  My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior  Lk 1.46-47

Prayer for the 4th week of Advent: “Lord, purify our hearts that they may be worthy to become your dwelling place.  Let us never fail to find room for you, but come and abide with us that we also may abide in you, for you were born into the world for us and now live and reign, King of kings and Lord of lords, for evermore.  Amen.”  (William Temple in A.E. Baker, William Temple’s Teaching,  Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1951, p.128)

Bible reading for the day:  Psalm 89.1-4
1 I will sing of the steadfast love of the Lord, forever;
    with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.
For I said, “Steadfast love will be built up forever;
    in the heavens you will establish your faithfulness.”
You have said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one;
    I have sworn to David my servant:
‘I will establish your offspring forever,
    and build your throne for all generations.’” 

Prayer (based on T.R.I.P. method**): Gracious and almighty Lord, thank you: it wasn’t enough for you to establish your faithfulness in the heavens only; you came down in Jesus Christ to establish and exercise your faithfulness here on earth. Thank you!  Repent me and your church of breaking your covenant.  Establish us daily as your offspring that we may live under the reign of your steadfast love now and forever.  I ask this in Jesus’ name, amen.

Hymn: follow this link to a new hymn that gives further voice to today’s conversation with the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeCwwaciAA8 

Thy kingdom come…
What does this mean?
The kingdom of God comes indeed by itself, without our prayer, but we pray in this petition that it may also come to us.
How is this done?
God's kingdom comes when our heavenly Father gives us his Holy Spirit, so that by his grace we believe his holy Word and live a godly life now and in eternity. (from The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther ©Reclaim Resources, Sola Publishing, 2011)

Benediction: Blessing and honor and thanksgiving and praise, more than we can utter, more than we can conceive, be unto thee, O holy and glorious Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, by all angels, all people, all creatures, for ever and ever. Amen. (Thomas Ken quoted in Frederick B. Macnutt, The Prayer Manual   London: Mowbray, 1951, p.39)



*There are many patterns for devotions.  This pattern has been followed by God’s people for centuries.

**The T.R.I.P. approach to prayer is based on the way Martin Luther prayed and taught others to pray.  It was later developed by Walter and Ingrid Trobisch and then adapted by Mount Carmel Ministries (Alexandria, MN www.dailytext.com).  The method is founded on scripture and easy to remember:
T: thanksgiving
                                                                R: regret (repentance)
                                                                I: intercession (asking God to take a specific action)
                                                                P: plan or purpose
Reading a biblical text and then applying this method gives one a sound, simple way to form one’s prayers...not to mention that it helps one learn how to faithfully reflect on God’s Word and talk to God. 



No comments:

Post a Comment